How Roofing Disasters are Caused
In today’s world we all have smart phones and tablets that make our lives easier in so many ways. With a ton of information out there on YouTube and Google it is easy to see why homeowners and enthusiasts choose to repair their own roof or replace major systems on their own.
The feeling is roofing contractors are too busy or too expensive. Lacking experience enthusiasts begin a perilous journey exploring the world or roof replacement.
The first sign of trouble
Despite the initial waves of confidence and inspiration, uncertainty soon sets in when it comes to:
- Understanding what type of roofing shingle is best
- Understanding what other items to purchase- underlayment etc
- Figuring out how to get help at the Box store and knowing what questions to ask
- Knowing whether or not the employee at the Box store gave accurate advice
Despite the initial uncertainty once the items are purchased other problems are soon apparent:
- How do I lay the shingles?
- What do I do first?
- Where do I nail them?
- How to I lay the underlayment?
- What do I do with the shingles that are on there?
- What do I do with the vents on the house?
- How do I get the shingles on the roof?
It is normal for the enthusiast to replay the YouTube video at this point or call his friends. Typically friends are not roofers, but they have ideas on best practices.
So the question becomes. Is it worth it ?
Now allot of effort has been combined with allot of inexperience. The only way to know if the work is done right is to wait for a heavy rain storm or winter conditions to see if all is well.
What about the warranty?
The bad weather hits and leaks can drench insulation and damage the attic. The question is will the warranty be any good?
- Can I find the kid at the box store to check on that?
- Will my insurance company pay for damages?
It is important to note that manufacturers are not fond of paying warranties and they will do everything they can to avoid paying a claim.
- When issues exist -they will look to be sure that the building standards are adhered to.All work must be done according to existing building codes and regulations. All permits have to be filed with the proper cities. For this reason alone, roofing enthusiasts have to be weary of what they do not know or understand.
Where is the savings?
Did you really save anything at all? You attracted allot of stress. You may have injured yourself hauling blocks of shingles on the roof. And worse yet the work was done by an inexperienced person. When the bad weather delivers the results, are you prepared for the consequences?
Do it Yourself Roofing Disasters Can Be Avoided:
If you choose to go another direction call Mike today to discover a painless way to install your new roof. Leave it to the professionals at Reader Roofing