Extending the life expectancy of your commercial roof is largely dependent on proper maintenance and care of your roof. How often you should maintenance your roof is dependent on the type of roof, location, warranty expectations, and weather conditions.
Roof Maintenance for Warranty Coverage
In addition, almost all roof warranties require maintenance done by a certified contractor, record-keeping, and inspections to comply with warranty guidelines. We recommend a roof inspection for commercial roof at least semi-annually according to most manufacturers’ guidelines.
Commercial Roof Maintenance Tips
Roof inspections are best done in the spring after the roofing system has been exposed to harsh winter conditions and in the fall after the heat of summer. It is also a good idea to inspect for damage after severe weather conditions such as hailstorms, heavy rains, and high winds.
- Remove debris such as leaves, small branches, dirt, and rocks from the roof surface.
- Clean gutters, down spouts, and drains so that water does not accumulate on the roof surface.
- Inspect flashings and valleys for rust, damage, and proper sealing.
- Inspect all areas that abut the roof such as masonry, counter flashing, caulking, mortar joints, and stone or tile coping.Inspect roof edges for any lifting material as wind damage often occurs in these areas.
- Inspect roof top equipment such as air conditioners, evaporative coolers, antennas, or any other protrusions for leaking or movement that could cause damage to the roof.
- Inspect for any structural movement that could cause cracks and other damage to the roof.
- Inspect or apply protective coatings; any cracked, flaking, or blistered areas should be recoated.
- Always avoid unnecessary roof top traffic.
Call Reader to keep your roof healthy
Reader Roofing is an accredited contractor with most commercial roofing manufacturers. Our certified technicians can assist you with roof maintenance to comply with warranty standards as well as insurance claims. Contact us for any questions or a free estimate on commercial roof maintenance.